Saturday, October 24, 2009

Patching Up

For professional reasons, I haven't been able to write about a huge part of my life for the past few months. I've been looking for a new job, applying to lots of different companies (none in non-profit) in the hopes that I could take another step in my career even with the economy the way it is. Guiding me along the way were my loving and supportive husband, my family, a few friends, and the book Can I Wear my Nose Ring to the Interview? (which I highly recommend to my friends in the job-hunting trenches). Reality exceeded my hopes when I had not one, but two job really awesome offers to choose from, both coming in on the same crazy Friday that made it almost impossible to focus on my work.

On Tuesday I accepted a position as Associate Product Manager for Patch.com, a web startup that I've continuously tried to explain and failed, so here's a quote from their About Us page:

Simply put, Patch is a new way to find out about, and participate in, what’s going on near you. We’re a community-specific news and information platform dedicated to providing comprehensive and trusted local coverage for individual towns and communities. We want to make your life better by giving you quick access to the information that’s most relevant to you. Patch makes it easy to:

  • Keep up with news and events
  • Look at photos and videos from around town
  • Learn about local businesses
  • Participate in discussions
  • Submit your own announcements, photos, and reviews

The site is starting out small but plans are booming, so it's the perfect time for me to get on board and try a new challenge. In addition to all the assumable and obvious perks of switching jobs, I will also finally be out of the NYCO basement and into a top-floor office in SoHo. My new boss and coworkers seem awesome and I can hardly wait until November 16th to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment